Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Valley of a Lion


As the sheep passed through the pastures of despair,
There stood a wolf high in the air.
Although only three knew their demise,
They rested warmed by lies.
Waiting, waiting for one soul,
There came a lion with a mane the size of a troll.
But from this troll there came a king,
With a heart stronger than anything.
And with no breath of shame and no remiss,
what the lion said was this.
I have seen these sheep moved by their shepherds
And I have seen these shepherds' starved by leopards.
But never have I seen a fool of a wolf in the dark,
Scared to tears by such a little bark.
Oh, but what a bark I have in the darkness!
Yelled the wolf with eyes of dispense,
Behind a strong silver fence
Slowly came the sheep,
From a long dying sleep.
And began to see the wolf standing up high,
That was when the lion leapt into the sky.
Suddenly he was struck by a fence,
However this was only his heart screaming in hence.
The lion lay solemn in the pastures of death,
Watching the tears in the sheep dry from each breath.
But the tears from three sheep did not leave,
For they only began to sieve.
Past the wolf they ran,
Then they saw a man.
This man was a shepherd and so he stood,
Strong and noble though he dropped his wood.
Although he had to keep the sheep,
His hate for the wolf was more deep.
As the fence was broke,
The lion awoke.
Again he leapt into the air,
So high the depths were a scare.
 With the wolf hard in his jaws,
He falls back to the cause.
Together they hit the valley,
And a light pours into its alley.
For as the sheep rejoice the wolf is dead,
Lay the lion in a golden rose bed.

6 comments:

  1. That was really good. It was so cool how you had it rhyme, but still make perfect sense and have a rythem. It was super good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting poem, Ryan. I like how it rhymes, but it's a little confusing at some parts. Don't forget to put an author's note for this poem and for future pieces. I like reading closed form poems, and this poem definitely expresses that style. I think you did a terrific job on this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was extremely confusing piece. It was excellent in it's own manner but left me wondering about the symbolism behind it. I don't know quite what to say but I will sure remember this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really interesting. I loved the way you rhymed it without seeming too sing-songy, and your vocab was great! The only thing is that in the middle of the poem when you say: "Oh, but what a bark I have in the darkness!" you didn't rhyme it with anything, but otherwise I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Ryan this poem made me laugh:) but this was so cool! I like how Matt said that it was closed form with rhyming, and it really gave it a cool effect, along with how you described the three animals. But like Sammy said, you didn't rhyme anything with the line that said 'darkness' at the end of it, and I got really confused at that part because of it. But otherwise, really good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poem itself is very enjoyable to read because of all its rhyming but I actually didn't understand very well what was going on. An author's note could help clear up some of the dark space in my head about what this was about, but again very interesting way to write it. Also, you could break up the poem into stanzas to make it easier to comprehend.

    ReplyDelete