Friday, April 8, 2011

The Love in his Eye

*When someone reads a poem, at least when I read a poem, I really do sometimes struggle to understand what it's about. I'm still learning to rhyme a poem and make sense with it at the same time. Sometimes it's a struggle, sometimes it comes to me rather quickly. This one was slow. It felt different, especially writing it with boundaries.*


His love for her, it's burnt like dust,
It runs without a spark, or gust;
His heart is thrust, his courage spent,
His soul is virtuously bent.
Send my regards to a man,
A silent, steady regard to this man.

Beyond this, in his noble heart,
A gap, for a favored new start:
He appears to them a star night,
From the darkness he shines, so bright!

Again, beyond this light there stands,
From the long dark, his shaking hands.
Around him are old people new:
No good sign, like a cold winter dew,
And yet it's quite another thing,
Past the winter, there sleeps spring.

Then hug himself and reason this,
Death was his heart sleeping in bliss.

3 comments:

  1. Although this poem doesn't have the length of Swift's, I recognized his style and influence on this piece for certain. The ending is especially strong, and causes the reader to think about the subject in a provocative way. I enjoy when writing causes me to think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr. Johnson in the sense that the ending is great. I really like to keep thinking too but since I really don't know Swift's writing, it would help to put his original piece that you are trying to imitate with this new piece. I really liked this poem though and I thought that you really did a nice job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything that the previous comments that are on this post. Great job with this piece. I love the way that the style made me read it.... like it made me want to keep reading more and more, but since the ending was so good, it was amazing! Nice job:)

    ReplyDelete